Thursday, April 1, 2021

Tofacon

 My Tofacon.


There are already thousands of good facon recipes though,
I think this is one of the easiest.
But to be honest, I rarely cook this for myself.
A bit too realistic for me...
This tofu based facon is for when you need chunky one.
If you need thin crispy facon, using rehydrated dry yuba(湯葉)is good.
I like using soy based ingredients to mimic protein food.
Because I don't like confusing menu planning.
I mean, for example, I don't like to make meat substitution from carbs...
But in fact, this marinade makes everything facon!
Transform whatever in the fridge into facon!

1block(400g) Tofu(Regular firm, momen)

~Marinade
1Tbsp Soy sauce
1Tbsp Ketchup
1/2Tbsp Maple syrup
1/4tsp Garlic powder
1/4tsp Liquid smoke
1Tbsp Starch

Oil to cook

Drain, freeze, defrost the tofu (× twice, if you like.)
Cut the tofu into the shape you like. Slice, cube, etc etc.
Remove excess water with paper towel or kitchen cloth.
Marinate in the mixed seasoning overnight (or more) in the fridge.
Pan fry with enough oil.
The oil and starch mimic the fatty flavor and texture.

What does "Vegan Leather" in Japan mean?

  Differences between artificial leather, synthetic leather, vegan leather, MF leather, etc. It seems that so many people think that the pro...