Saturday, March 20, 2021

Takoyaki-Pan/Cooker

Planning to get a Takoyaki pan?
Or having a trouble to cook Takoyaki?
If you can not cook Takoyaki well or not very happy with the Takoyaki you cook, it may be because of the pan, not your skill.
I have been wondering where to start talking about Takoyaki...
And I decided to start from sharing my wrong shopping experience so that you can get the right one that you want.
I used to use an aluminum pan with Teflon coating and be satisfied with the Takoyaki cooked with it.
But the other day, I found it was worn out and the coating was coming off.
So I decided to get new one.
I choose an electric cooker with ceramic coating, because I thought it must be nice to cook at the table as drinking, not standing in the kitchen.
And I liked the warm ceramic color that matched the table.
Ceramic lasts longer than Teflon.
It is powerful, 1000w!
I checked the review too, it looked all good!
But it was a bad choice...
I tried and tried cooking with it many times for months changing the recipe...
Then ended up buying another.

× Ceramic sticks! 
It was OK when I cooked very thick batter that I don't like very much.
And I guess there's no problem to cook batter with eggs, because everyone says the coating is good...but I cook vegan...
My regular ceramic coat fry-pan has no problem though...
I think the shape of takoyaki × ceramic coat × eggless batter is the problem...
△  Electric 
It is not only how powerful, how densely and evenly heater is arranged is important too...

Here are my recommendations...

If you value quality than simplicity.
① Cast iron pan
○They make very crispy skin and creamy inside.
  They help you to supplement with iron.
  You can use the same pan forever.
  Most of professional Takoyaki chefs use iron or bronze to make good crispy skin,
  means you will be able to make proffesional level of Takoyaki by this oneday.
  If you want to make Gindaco style, this is a good choice, iron stands intense heat.
×They need seasoning before start using and good care everytime you use.
  That means they cost more gas, oil and time everytime.
  They require a little practice to cook good Takoyaki.
  Most of iron pan's pits are smaller (actually they are regular size, 38~40mm.) than  Gindaco size (44mm~).

This is the one I got for the second time.
Cast iron that can be used with gas stove and IH.
I will use this forever.

[商品価格に関しましては、リンクが作成された時点と現時点で情報が変更されている場合がございます。]

IH対応鉄鋳物 たこ焼き器16穴【RCP】【3966】【t】
価格:1782円(税込、送料別) (2021/3/17時点)


Family size cast iron pan for gas stove
[商品価格に関しましては、リンクが作成された時点と現時点で情報が変更されている場合がございます。]

スプラウト 鉄鋳物製たこ焼きプレート21穴 HB-4621
価格:1080円(税込、送料別) (2021/3/17時点)


If you value both quality and simplicity.
② Aluminum pan with Teflon coating
○They make super smooth thin crispy skin.
   Easy to use for beginners, no practice needed.
   No special care needed.
   Many of them are big "Gindaco" size.
×The life of coating is not very long.

 I used to use one that is similar to this.
Aluminum with Teflon coating for gas stove

Aluminum with Teflon coating in round shape

If you want a portable gas cooker, 
③ ALL THE TAKOYAKI GEEKS say the best portable Takoyaki cooker is Super En-Tako スーパー炎たこ by Iwatani.
Iwatani is a major gas and energy company.
They are Teflon coated too.
Fast, smooth, crispy, easy to take care.
Flat iron plate for Teppanyaki is sold separately.
You can buy a Takoyaki pan separately too when the coating is damaged.

If you want an all purpose electric cooker for 1~2 people.
④ Multi purpose cooker by Iris Ohyama looks good.
I checked the heater in an actual shop.
(After finding the problem of mine is heater...)
The heater looks good and it is powerful 900w!
They can make Takoyaki, Teppanyaki and Hot-pot!
The Takoyaki pan is coated with Teflon.






I really regret that I should have chosen more carefully...
I should have bought a Super En-Tako or ...
Again, DO NOT BUY CERAMIC COAT!
and if you are buying an electric, check the power and do not buy 500w or so like most of cheap ones are, it is too low and takes forever to cook.
It is not just because of time, it means moisture in Takoyaki evaporates before they are done and texture gets gooey and rubbery, not creamy.
I guess you need 800w or higher.
But remember! how heater is arranged is important too!
I hope you can buy good one!

DO NOT BUY THIS!
This is the one I bought...😭
Look at the heater, you know what I mean...



What does "Vegan Leather" in Japan mean?

  Differences between artificial leather, synthetic leather, vegan leather, MF leather, etc. It seems that so many people think that the pro...